The U.S. Capitol Building

The U.S. Capitol Building

Thursday, January 19, 2017

OK, Let’s Get This Out of the Way

Like at least 65 million of us, I was totally devastated by the November 8, 2016, election results. Understanding the Democratic Party policies will face obliteration was certainly part of it but most of my great visceral discomfort went well beyond politics.

Having listened to Donald Trump for months it was clear that we turned the American Experiment over to—and I am being polite here—a rank amateur with a volatile personality. We are performing the Great American Stress Test “testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure”, to borrow a phrase from A. Lincoln. Our government will take generations to recover if that is even possible. One might say I am alarmist. I dearly hope I am and that everything will be just fine.

But I am afraid. I will not make predictions but here is a list of possible events if Mr. Trump follows through on much of his campaign rhetoric (I will not even mention conflict of interest and corruption because that is a given).
  1. The stability of world order that Americans of both parties has nurtured for 70 years (The Pax Americana) could quickly come undone. Execution of foreign policy is a delicate choreography; it may not fare well with a provocateur in charge.
  2. We could blunder into a war (if we back out of the Iran nuclear deal, armed conflict is guaranteed from us or from Israel).
  3. There could be an accidental or deliberate use of nuclear weapons.
  4. There could be a global depression.
  5. We could see a collapse of the individual health insurance system.
  6. With Republican control of all branches of government and 68% of state legislatures, unwise constitutional amendments may be passed.
  7. We will likely see an increase in hate crimes. Also physical attacks on Trump critics may occur.

When I said that much of my concern went beyond politics, note that many prominent conservatives are highly critical of Trump’s behavior as well. I follow Bret Stephens (WSJ) and David Frum on Twitter. I read Jennifer Rubin in the Washington Post and David Brooks & Ross Douthat at The New York Times. These writers are very critical of Trump’s behavior and I follow them to get me out of my liberal bubble. Recently I have seen critical tweets from Laura Ingraham and Michael Gerson. It goes beyond politics for many.


My fervent hope is that serious denigration of media will be minimal so that whatever happens will be reported to the country. I want everyone to understand the events that are to come. My nightmare scenario is that Trump’s base will grow and sustain him. Many of them will not trust news reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, now.