The U.S. Capitol Building

The U.S. Capitol Building

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Barrack Obama


In 2006 I read “The Audacity of Hope” by Barrack Obama. Upon finishing the book, I thought, “I want to see this man in the White House”. The cause for my enthusiasm was his focus on being open to both sides of any issue. Each time he presented the liberal side of an issue, he also presented the conservative side. He came to office really wanting to be open to both sides but the door was shut in his face. The Republicans blocked any move on any issue. They even refused invitations to state dinners at the White House.

Only time will tell how his presidency will be regarded by history. If all his programs are killed by the succeeding administration, how will he be judged?

I attended his 2009 inauguration. I did not have a ticket I just showed up with 1.8 million other admirers. Prior to his first inauguration, the previous attendance record was Lyndon Johnson in 1965 at 1.3 million people. Due to a subway accident, I had to walk miles further than expected and when I finally got onto the National Mall, it was way back by the Washington Monument. Here is a photo I took that day.



It was a pleasure to see him in office for eight years. A scandal-free eight years with an attractive young family.

I do have a few disappointments. Everyone talks about the failure to respond after Assad crossed the “red line”. Here history will again decide his wisdom or lack of it. The other thing I wish could have been different is his communication with the nation. He should have made a sales pitch for healthcare reform and the stimulus. I think he found this necessary part of a good presidency a pain. He didn’t want to play the game.

He is very young and I hope he continues serving the country like Jimmy Carter. I understand he may work with Eric Holder on pushing back against the undemocratic practice of gerrymandering.

Thanks, President Obama, and the best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, now.